ITech Insights: Excel Tips & Tricks Part One
PICS Announces an all new version of their flagship product DocLib
The Microsoft Office suite of applications Excel is by far one of the most versatile of the bunch. Aside from just handling our day to day number crunching it is one of those programs we often jump in and out of for creating and viewing reports, calculating figures, and sometimes even just managing that office phone list. In this weeks ITech Insights we're starting the first of a 3 part series of tips and tricks that can help to improve your efficiency in this amazing program.
Want to learn more?
DocLib is an Enterprise Document Management Solution designed for small and medium sized businesses looking to streamline their business processes, increase productivity and ultimately do more with less people. This is a common theme in many departments today where productivity improvement is now expected without adding headcount. DocLib achieves this by replacing inefficient, manual, paper based processes with automated steps that create transactions in your business systems without any human action required! Join the PICS team as we demonstrate the power of DocLib and show you how to improve the productivity in your department.
PICS ITech Launches New Website
Visit our ITech Insights page where you'll find our informative blog videos that offer valuable technology news and tips to improve your business.
Visit our new website
Proactive IT Strategy
to learn how to get the greatest return on your business computer investment, with the fewest worries.
It's time to create a long-term partnership for technology success with IT Consulting
from PICS ITech.
Are you sure that your data is safe? Erase your doubts with a Security Assessment
from PICS ITech.
Check out the PICS ITech White Paper Library for simple technology tips you and your staff can put to use today.
|Increase productivity with SharePoint|
One of the biggest drivers of a company's success, regardless of the size, is collaboration. If your employees can't work efficiently together or with external parties, chances of success are fairly slim. This is especially important for small businesses where employees may fill more than one role, often with only a basic understanding of that role, which leads to lower productivity. To make it easier for employees, you can use a program like Microsoft SharePoint.
SharePoint was launched by Microsoft in 2001 as a document and content management program for intranets - closed networks within a company. Over the past 11 years, SharePoint has added a ton of different capabilities and features that make it an integral part of many business's infrastructure. One of the biggest advantages of SharePoint is that it integrates with Microsoft Office and Office 365. Here are five things you can do with SharePoint to help make your company and employees more productive.
- Centralize all essential documents. The problem many small businesses face is that files are spread out, normally kept locally on an employee's computer which makes sharing difficult. SharePoint allows you to organize your files in a central location while allowing employees or other parties to access and share these documents.
- Collaboration. With centralized document management, your employees can collaborate easier. No more having to email another employee to get them to send a document then having to compile different versions into one document, as employees will have access to the same document with changes made clearly visible.
- Solidify goals and roles. Employees in small businesses often complain that they don't know what their roles are and what exactly the company is doing. With SharePoint you can create lists and documents with your goals and expectations of employees, which they can access. Clearly defined goals and roles will go a long way in keeping employees productive because they will be able to see exactly what they should be doing.
- Project management. Project management can be one of the toughest things to keep on top of. One team may be using a separate calendar and documents that other teams don't have access to causing productivity bottlenecks. With SharePoint you can create calendars and workflows that are shared on the network so you know exactly who is working on what, when it's due and what's left to be done.
- Stage-gate implementation. With the combination of calendars, workflow and shared documents you can establish a clearly defined stage-gates, a set point where document drafts, workflow process or any project needs to be approved to move on to the next step. This creates an element of control that keeps projects on track, and necessary parties informed at all times.
Through clever use of SharePoint and the different addons, you can reign in uncontrolled projects, keep track of projects and ensure your employees know what they should be doing. If you and your employees are organized and have easy access to data and collaboration tools, you will see an increase in productivity of both employees and the company. To learn more about how you can use SharePoint for your business, please contact us.
|HDD or SSD, What's the difference?|
The hard drive is one of the components IT professionals look at when they're buying a new computer, often worrying about things like read speed and storage space. Until a couple of years ago, there was only one type of internal hard drive available to computers, Hard Disk Drives (HDD). Now, manufacturers are starting to use a second kind, Solid-state Drives (SSD) and many customers are wondering which is better.
|You should be using ROI in your business|
When running your own business, one of the most important things to know is where your money is and the return on any investments you've made. There are many ways to calculate this and small business owners in different disciplines will give you slightly different ways to calculate returns. The majority of these methods are based on Return on Investment, or ROI.
|Dropbox confirms some accounts hacked|
The cloud and all related services are making large inroads into businesses around the globe, with many utilizing at least one form of cloud. One of the most popular categories of cloud in use is cloud storage. Until recently cloud storage has been relatively secure, but, a major cloud storage provider has recently had an incident where account information was stolen.
|OLSB to Office 365, not without problems|
There have been many different versions of Microsoft Office released for an equally large number of different operating systems. One of the latest versions is Office 365, the cloud based version of Office aimed at small businesses which replaces Office Live Small Business. It has proven to be a solid product. There is one issue however that businesses need to overcome before they fully migrate to the cloud.